What if we told you there was a way to decrease your energy use in your house, while also improving the ambiance in your home? Well, it’s true. Dimmer switches allow you to do both. To have light switches and dimmers installed in your house, call Mr. Air AC & Electrical for appointments in Pompano Beach, FL. Our technicians use the latest technology to guarantee satisfaction with every job.
How safe is your home’s electrical system? Find out when you call us to schedule a whole-house safety inspection.
What Are Dimmer Switches?
Have you seen the dimmer-switch approved light bulbs at the hardware store and wondered “what are dimmer switches”? Well, these function just like they sound - they can dim the lighting in a room. You can use the unit to adjust the brightness of various areas of your house or building, depending on your needs and preferences. This can both save energy by reducing the amount you are using to light each room and improve the ambiance in your home.
Areas To Install Dimmer Switches
While you can install dimmer switches in any room in your house, there are some areas where they are more common. These include the:
- Bathroom: These units can let you dim the lights first thing in the morning as you’re adjusting to the sun’s brightness. They can also help you relax at night while taking a hot bath.
- Bedroom: Installing these devices in your bedroom can help you lower the lights to make you sleepy and get you ready for bedtime.
- Kitchen: These units give you the versatility to make lights bright when you need them for cooking and softer late at night when you only need dim light in the area for midnight snacks.
- Hallways: Dim the lights to act as a night-light overnight to increase safety in your home.
- Living room: Lower the lights when watching TV or a movie to create a more relaxing environment.
- Porch: These devices can provide enhanced security to help keep intruders away by dimming the lights at night on your porch.
Are you tired of waiting in line to charge your EV? Why not charge it at home? Contact us to learn about our electric vehicle charging station services.
What To Know When Buying Dimmer Switches
Before you purchase dimmer switches for your home or building, make sure you are buying the right kind for your property. Some things you should consider are:
- Make sure the dimmer switch matches the fixture’s technology so it works properly. Work with an electrician to determine if you need line voltage, low voltage magnetic, low voltage electronic, 0-10V LED, or fluorescent power supplies.
- Have an electrician help you figure out how much of a load you will be putting on the dimmer.
- Determine where you are installing the dimmer and how many devices will be located near it.
- Know if the fixtures can be controlled by one or more locations (single pole dimmer or 3-way, for example).